Thursday, May 15, 2008

TV or Not to TV, that is the question

"I don't think you could live one day without TV."
"What? We could live a whole week without it....well, at least a Monday through Friday week. (We really like TV on the weekends)."

And so began our TV-less challenge of the week. Amazingly, the large box has remained off since Sunday afternoon. My children have rediscovered some of their toys this week, as well as their imagination. Strangely, they haven't even asked to have it on - until now (Thursday night). I find myself just as tempted to turn it on as they are. There have been many moments when vegging out seemed necessary, even justified. I have resisted the urge - until now.

I am proud of how long they (and I) have lasted without it. And while we will probably continue to have TV time during the day, this little experiment has opened our eyes to the reality that they do not "need" it as often as they have had it in the past. We will certainly be making some changes to our daily routine. God continues to refine our family and for that I am thankful. It becomes more and more evident each day that we have not arrived, but I am so grateful for a family united in the journey getting there. This was a great experience for all of us....anything we try together is just another wonderful opportunity to bond us even closer together.

No comments: